Getting my Feet Wet in the Cat 1 Pool


            At the end of 2013 after a solid year of racing in Cat 2, I made the decision to put in for my Category 1 upgrade through USA Cycling.  For me this was both an exciting and nerve-racking choice for me as I knew I would have to step up the game in my racing.  I was happy though when I received my approval for the upgrade as to me this was a huge achievement to make it to that level.

            After I received my 2014 license sporting the new markings of Cat 1 I began to feel the pressure a little especially knowing that XC Nationals was going to be on the east coast again. And this year and I was going to have to qualify my way into Nationals instead of just choosing to go as a Cat 2 racer.  So finally this past weekend I entered into and raced in my first Expert/Cat 1 level race at AFC Sugar Hill in Patapsco state park which is down towards Baltimore, MD. 

            Leading up to this weekend I have been doing a decent bit of riding and training but didn’t feel all the prepared as I have felt I have been lacking the discipline in training in the early part of the year.  I finally decided though to just go race my bike and just needed to get my feet wet in this new category and just let happen what was going to happen.


             The day of the race me and a buddy of mine decided to carpool down together and we both expressed how we were a little uneasy with racing with it being so early in the season still.  I think we were able to talk ourselves out of our nervousness and were content with just enjoying whatever was going to happen that day.  The day started off well, we got down to the venue with plenty of time for Ralph to get ready for his race, which was a few hours before mine.  This gave me plenty of time to socialize and catch up with a bunch of people I don’t get to see but only at races and this helped settle my nerves. 
           
            Race time came, staging was called, and there I was lining up for my first Cat 1/Expert race.  My heart rate was steady, legs and body felt pretty good, and the mind wasn’t racing to bad, and then….3…2…1…GO! 

Off we went up the road and into the steepest climb of the day in a loose, rocky, muddy, and water bar climb leading into the main course.  I kept telling myself to stay calm, stay loose, and stay smooth.  My heart rate pegged almost immediately and stayed there for quite a while as I watched the majority of the pack race away from me with very little for me to do as I knew I still had 2+ hours to go and had to pace myself. 

            The biggest different in the Cat 1 races vs the Cat 2 races is the fact that the distance is a good bit longer (usually about 1/3 longer) and the pace is a good bit faster as well.  One thing I did notice with this group though vs the sport/Cat 2 groups is how much smoother everyone was and that really made the racing experience more enjoyable because you really didn’t have to worry about what that guy around you was going to do because in theory he knew how to handle his bike very well. 

            Out on the course I felt pretty good and felt strong and I raced down the trails and through the woods on my new bike which was seeing its first race.  It took me a little over a lap to feel like I had settled into a good pace and was feeling more in the groove.  I was enjoying the experience, enjoying the ride, enjoying the bike, and enjoyed feeling pretty strong…even though I knew I was well towards the back of the pack.  It wasn’t until the last lap that did I really start to feel the stress of racing that next level and definitely started to tire down.  I pushed hard and pushed on as I knew it was almost over and I was almost done with my first race of this caliber. 


             I finished the race feeling accomplished and feeling good with the day.  I also then went and apologized to my teammate Scottie for catching him at the absolute last second and passing him in a sprint to the finish.  In the end I finished 23rd place out of 28, but I’ll take it.  I went home on an endorphin high and went to bed that night thinking of the next two wheeled adventure….bring it on! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Have Learned Working in The Funeral Service

Racing in the Lone Star State